Over 100,000 people will crowd around Broad Street for the 30th annual parade.
DECEMBER 6, 2013; 7:56 AM • BY NATHAN CUSHING
Some say the holidays don’t truly begin until Rudolf, Santa, Shriners, and many more merrily parade down Broad Street. If you’re one of them, the 30th annualDominion Christmas Parade will definitely get you (and RVA) in the holiday spirit.
— ∮∮∮ —
WHEN DOES THE PARADE HAPPEN?
Saturday, December 7th from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM.
If you want good views, we recommend you stake out a spot along the parade route by 9:30 AM, if not a bit earlier. You can also watch the parade live on CBS 6 in the comfort of your pajamas.
WHERE SHOULD I GO?
The parade departs from the Science Museum of Virginia and will continue down W. Broad Street until it reaches 7th Street.
Good places to watch the parade are in front of the DMV and near 6th Street.
WHO’S GOING TO BE IN THE PARADE?
There are over 100 pieces taking part in the parade (PDF), from the Harlem Globetrotters, River City Roller Girls, the Rebel Legion of Star Wars, and tons of floats and balloons.
There’ll also be vendors selling food and merchandise.
WHERE SHOULD I PARK?
There’s no designated parking, so you’ll need to park on side streets near the parade. You can also park in the Virginia Alcohol and Beverage Control lot next to the Science Museum.
WHAT ABOUT STREET CLOSURES?
- Broad Street eastbound will be closed from Strawberry St. to Davis from 6:00 AM – 2:00 PM the day of the parade.
- Broad Street westbound will also be closed from 7th to Davis from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM the day of the parade.
WHAT’S THE WEATHER GOING TO BE?
The morning should be overcast, but there’s a chance of rain in the afternoon. Weather should be in the upper 30s to lower 40s on Saturday morning.
WHAT CAN I DO AFTERWARD?
It’s going to be chilly (and maybe wet) so head to one of these restaurants for a warm lunch:
- Garnett’s • 2001 Park Avenue
- Strawberry Street Cafe • 421 N. Strawberry Hotel
- Mint • 2501 W. Main Street
- Kuba Kuba • 1601 Park Avenue
- Sidewalk Cafe • 2101 W. Main Street
- Joe’s Inn • 205 N. Shields Avenue
- 3 Monkey’s • 2525 W. Main Street
- The Camel • 1621 W. Broad Street
- Starlite • 2600 W. Main Street
- Bellytimber • 1501 W. Main Street
- Balliceaux • 203 N. Lombardy
- Sticky Rice • 2232 W. Main Street
- Metro • 301 N. Robinson Street
- Sugar Shack Donuts • 1001 N. Lombardy Street
photo by John Murden