Broad Street Station was built as the southern terminus for the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad (RF&P) in 1917 in the neoclassical style by the architect John Russell Pope. The station also served the trains of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL), the Norfolk and Western Railway (N&W). Eventually, the Seaboard Air Line Railway (SAL), which had formerly used Richmond’s other union station (Main Street Station), switched to Broad Street Station.
Passenger service to the station ceased in 1975. The station became the home of the Science Museum of Virginia, which remains in the substantially remodeled and expanded building.